Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

synonym for 'samprasarana' (and 'synizesis') sought

From:And Rosta <a.rosta@...>
Date:Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 0:37
Does anybody know of a term, other than 'samprasarana',
for the common phonological phenomenon whereby a
glide alternates between syllabic and nonsyllabic
values? I have a feeling that there's a more common
term, perhaps from Greek, but my memory and reference
materials are drawing a blank. I suspect I'm thinking
of 'synizesis', but perhaps people equipped with
compendious knowledge about phonology, or with
dictionaries of linguistic terms might be able to