Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Name that case

From:Eldin Raigmore <eldin_raigmore@...>
Date:Monday, November 12, 2007, 19:25
---In, Gregory Gadow <techbear@...> wrote:
>Take a look at these two sentences: >A) I gave the book TO YOU. >B) I received the book FROM YOU. >In sentence A, "to you" would take the dative case. In sentence >B, "from you" would take a different case (I know there is a proper >name, but I can't remember what it is.)
Usually "ablative".
>The conlang I am working on uses the same case in both sentences, >basically "the second party involved in an act of transferral, neither >the agent nor patient of the verb." Is there a proper name for this >case?
Barry J. Blake, at least as I understand his book on "Case", would recommend "Dative". (I think Romany does this? If not, I'm sure some natlang does it.) Some languages would also use that same case to denote possession; in which case, depending, it might be called "genitive".
>Gregory Gadow
Thanks for writing!