Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Tap and Flap (was: Notes on UPSID phoneme inventory)

From:FFlores <fflores@...>
Date:Sunday, July 11, 1999, 16:48
Daniel Andreasson <noldo@...> wrote:
> > Pablo Flores asked: > > > What's the difference between a tap and a flap? I thought > > they were the same! > > Somewhat belated reply, but anyway... > AFAIK no one else answered.
Someone did -- don't remember who, but thanks. I wasn't sure I had understood the first answer and yours is a confirmation.
> > I had the same question some months ago, > so I asked my teacher. He said that a tap > is when you very quickly "tap" the tip of your > tongue once against the alveoli. A flap is made > by "flapping" the underside of the tip of your > tongue against the back of the alveoli, kind of > the same way you'd make a retroflex IIUC. > When I do that it sounds like something > between /d/ and /l/, but that's what he said.
I think you're making it right. If it's like American <dd> in 'ladder' or <tt> in 'butter', it's a flap, namely Spanish or Japanese <r>.
> > Hope my answer wasn't too confusing. > It's hard to explain when I can't use my > hand as a "tongue".
No problem. I can imagine. :) --Pablo Flores