Translation: The Lay of Leithian
|From:||The Gray Wizard <dbell@...>|
|Date:||Tuesday, January 25, 2000, 18:05|
Weary of endless htmlizing and inspired by a translation posted to the
elfling list today, I took some time out to translate the first verse of
JRRT's "The Lay of Leithian" into amman iar.
The Lay of Leithian
1. Of Thingol in Doriath
1. A king there was in days of old;
2. ere Men yet walked upon the mould
3. his power was reared in cavern's shade,
4. his hand was over glen and glade.
5. Of leaves his crown, his mantle green
6. his silver lances long and keen,
7. the starlight in his shield was caught,
8. ere moon was made or sun was wrought.
i lirid i leithion
1. i thingolanen i dhoriathar
1. en aran urren vorneth;
2. edhain ernordharel an engdarian orui minthille
3. en balan alanion ennonnar ascalennen ordhmarrion,
4. en cam alanion orimronniar na taurriar.
5. carilen alanion les geth. sarcil alanion galen deth
6. itair geceleb and meth na brand veth,
7. eni galen elennion tengelar ordirdhirar alanion,
8. an ithil entagon minthille o an anor encelmon.
David. E. Bell
The Gray Wizard
"irvorisel in villissen ciroinarrion unastil
senil el findien vivas na elieth en errutharth limie"
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards
for they are subtle and quick to anger"