Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Terminology

From:Sally Caves <scaves@...>
Date:Wednesday, November 25, 1998, 0:41
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Josh Brandt-Young wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:26:57 -0500 Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...> writes: > > >> What would the construction used in Modern Greek and Romanian to > >replace > >> the infinitive be called in linguistics terminology? > >> > >> Example: Greek "thelo na pao" (I want that I go) for "I want to go." > > > >Isn't that the subjunctive? > > In this case, yes, but not universally: the subjunctive is only used in > this case when referring to a perfective action. The indicative is used > in the same situation to refer to an event in process: "Thelo na piyeno" > means "I want to be going." > > What I'm wondering is whether there's a name for this entire *type* of > construction. > > Thanks, though!
Isn't it what you would call a noun clause--the object of "want"? In Teonaht, gerunds can be the objects of desideratives (is that the right term?): euanrem yddehsan, "I want going." Sally ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Sally Caves Li fetil'aiba, dam hoja-le uen. volwin ly, vul inua aiba bronib. This leaf, the wind takes her. She's old, and born this year. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++