New Langage "Tyl-Seok": Similar ideas? (Was: Translation pattern of `to have'?)
|From:||Henrik Theiling <theiling@...>|
|Date:||Thursday, March 1, 2001, 10:24|
Tommie L Powell <tommiepowell@...> writes:
> I also am currently constructing a conlang that's isolating, has
> no copula, is very regular and has active case marking. (It isn't
> All-Noun, but is All-Noun except for modifiers.)
Interesting. We could compare some of our languages' properties. My
new conlang is called Tyl-Seok (meaning `elegant language/tongue').
Tyl-Seok briefly is like this:
- isolating, active case marking, no copula, totally regular
- no numbers, no genders/classes, no marked cases
- SVO (agent to the left, patient to the right)
- agency based on (potential) control
- word categories: nouns and particles
if a noun has non-zero valence, they may be thought of as
verbs (but needn't)
- no concord
- basically two grammar rules:
a) how to attach an agent: put it to the left
b) how to attach a patient: put it to the right
Of course, the usage has to be clarified in detail...
- tenses, moods, aspects, etc. are not grammatical, but may be
marked using additional `verbs'
- principle is underspecification and context
- embedding structure: composed phrase (e.g. relative clauses)
are handled like nouns
- uses no labial phonemes; neither labial consonants nor rounded
vowels: [i E a i= V= u- V]
(i e a y w u o)
diphthongs: [EV u-i Ei Vu-]
(eo ui ei ou)
consonants: [t s n l k x N ? h]
[? h] do not occur at ends of words
[N] does not occur at beginnings of words
clusters: [ts kx nt Nk]
- mostly monosyllabic, but occasionally bisyllabic stems
- pitch accent (regular: lower pitch on first syllable of
- no tones (I'm thinking about this one. Maybe the
pitch accent is removed in favor of tones, as I like
them so much. If so, there will be three absolute
tones: 11 33 55 in IPA)
Tyl-Seok has no proto language and (almost) no imagined history: all
phenomena occuring in grammar or word composition are still
productive. Tyl-Seok is a modern language (not yet) spoken on Earth
that is constructed *now* with no languages to borrow from. It is
invented on the northern hemisphere (e.g. `sun' also means `south').
It is meant to be an artlang with the purpose of being fun to be
created and spoken.
I'll post details as soon as I'm sure about them.
Any comments/questions so far?