Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

From:Campbell Nilsen <cactus95@...>
Date:Sunday, May 25, 2008, 0:29
Greek had it, so did Sanskrit, and so do polynesian languages.
"Define 'cynical'."-M. Mudd

----- Original Message ----
From: "MorphemeAddict@WMCONNECT.COM" <MorphemeAddict@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 6:44:09 PM
Subject: Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

In a message dated 5/24/2008 17:22:18 PM Central Daylight Time, 
rakko@CHARTER.NET writes:

> I remember reading somewhere that some languages have a special  > marking for nouns for things that normally occur in pairs. What do  > you call this phenomenon? Is it an example of grammatical number (and  > if so, what is that number called?) And does anyone how those  > markings evolved? >
"Dual number". No idea. stevo  </HTML>