Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

From:Eric Christopherson <rakko@...>
Date:Sunday, May 25, 2008, 0:32
On May 24, 2008, at 5:44 PM, MorphemeAddict@WMCONNECT.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 5/24/2008 17:22:18 PM Central Daylight Time, > rakko@CHARTER.NET writes: > > >> I remember reading somewhere that some languages have a special >> marking for nouns for things that normally occur in pairs. What do >> you call this phenomenon? Is it an example of grammatical number (and >> if so, what is that number called?) And does anyone how those >> markings evolved? >> > > "Dual number". > No idea.
I should have been less ambiguous. What I meant was: a marking used for *single* parts of a pair, not the pair itself.


David J. Peterson <dedalvs@...>