Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

From:caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...>
Date:Monday, May 26, 2008, 11:59
>Eric Christopherson <rakko@...> wrote:
>I remember reading somewhere that some languages have a special >marking for nouns for things that normally occur in pairs. What do >you call this phenomenon? Is it an example of grammatical number (and >if so, what is that number called?) And does anyone how those >markings evolved?
On this subject, I have a word in Senjecas "gaqtos" which means one of a pair. The trouble is that I can't think of a situation in which it might be used! BTW, the word is from the proto-Dravidian lexicon. Charlie


René Uittenbogaard <ruittenb@...>
ROGER MILLS <rfmilly@...>