Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

From:René Uittenbogaard <ruittenb@...>
Date:Monday, May 26, 2008, 12:38
2008/5/26 caeruleancentaur <caeruleancentaur@...>:
>>Eric Christopherson <rakko@...> wrote: > >>I remember reading somewhere that some languages have a special >>marking for nouns for things that normally occur in pairs. What do >>you call this phenomenon? Is it an example of grammatical number (and >>if so, what is that number called?) And does anyone how those >>markings evolved? > > On this subject, I have a word in Senjecas "gaqtos" which means one of > a pair. The trouble is that I can't think of a situation in which it > might be used! BTW, the word is from the proto-Dravidian lexicon. > > Charlie
Perhaps like this? Yesterday, I was looking for my rubber boots, but I could only find gaqtos. My eyes are usually fine, but today gaqtos is hurting. Defined by context, just like "I need to buy two". René