Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

Date:Monday, May 26, 2008, 13:45
In a message dated 5/26/2008 07:42:24 AM Central Daylight Time,
ruittenb@GMAIL.COM writes:

> > On this subject, I have a word in Senjecas "gaqtos" which means one of > > a pair. The trouble is that I can't think of a situation in which it > > might be used! BTW, the word is from the proto-Dravidian lexicon. > > > > Charlie > > Perhaps like this? > > Yesterday, I was looking for my rubber boots, but I could only find gaqtos. > My eyes are usually fine, but today gaqtos is hurting. > > Defined by context, just like "I need to buy two". >
Given these contexts, it looks like it's essentially equivalent to "one", and would be used anywhere where the "one" refers to either one of a pair. Is that right? Also, using "gaqtos" would imply that the one thing is one of a pair, so if you say you're looking for a gaqtos (is it used with the article?), and somebody else doesn't know what you're looking for, at least he'll know that there's another it goes with or is like it. stevo </HTML>