Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Need to know a linguistic term

From:Christophe Grandsire <christophe.grandsire@...>
Date:Thursday, January 31, 2002, 7:41
En réponse à Ian Maxwell <Ian_Maxwell@...>:

> Hi, I was just wondering if there is a proper linguistic term that > just > means "two of the same letter in a row". >
"double letter" :))) When it comes to orthographical things, it seems linguistics takes its words from the everyday use :)) . After all, they are correct and descriptive enough :) . It's in other things like phonetics and grammar that they have to make up precise terms.
> - Ian Maxwell > > P.S. I only signed up for this mailing list a few days ago; hi, > everyone!
> The sheer volume of email I get from it is somewhat overwhelming, but > I'll > get used to it. >
I think so. It never was much a problem for me, but I'm fortunate enough to have time to read my mail every day :) . Christophe. Take your life as a movie: do not let anybody else play the leading role.