Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Terminology

From:Josh Brandt-Young <neonwave7@...>
Date:Monday, November 23, 1998, 4:53
On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:26:57 -0500 Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...> writes:

>> What would the construction used in Modern Greek and Romanian to >replace >> the infinitive be called in linguistics terminology? >> >> Example: Greek "thelo na pao" (I want that I go) for "I want to go." > >Isn't that the subjunctive?
In this case, yes, but not universally: the subjunctive is only used in this case when referring to a perfective action. The indicative is used in the same situation to refer to an event in process: "Thelo na piyeno" means "I want to be going." What I'm wondering is whether there's a name for this entire *type* of construction. Thanks, though! ---------- Josh Brandt-Young <neonwave7@...> "After the tempest, I behold, once more, the weasel." (Mispronunciation of Ancient Greek) ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]