Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Need to know a linguistic term

From:Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...>
Date:Thursday, January 31, 2002, 2:20
Ian Maxwell wrote:
> > Hi, I was just wondering if there is a proper linguistic term that just > means "two of the same letter in a row".
Do you mean letter or sound? I don't know of any term for two of the same *letter* in a row, but the same sound twice in a row is called, for consonants "gemination" (ex: the differences between the /k/ in "booking" and in "bookcase", where, for many speakers, the /k/ is held for about twice as long as normal, or better examples are in languages like Japanese that have things like _mate_ "wait!" vs. _matte_ "waiting"). For vowels, it's simply called "long vowel". English "long vowels" aren't true long vowels. They're called that because that *used* to be what they were. Short i and long i were at one time the exact same sound, just with long i pronounced longer than short i. Japanese has that also. -- "There's no such thing as 'cool'. Everyone's just a big dork or nerd, you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." - overheard ICQ: 18656696 AIM Screen-Name: NikTaylor42


Ian Maxwell <ian_maxwell@...>