Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Terminology

From:Christophe Grandsire <christophe.grandsire@...>
Date:Monday, November 23, 1998, 8:38
At 20:53 22/11/98 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:26:57 -0500 Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...> writes: > >>> What would the construction used in Modern Greek and Romanian to >>replace >>> the infinitive be called in linguistics terminology? >>> >>> Example: Greek "thelo na pao" (I want that I go) for "I want to go." >> >>Isn't that the subjunctive? > >In this case, yes, but not universally: the subjunctive is only used in >this case when referring to a perfective action. The indicative is used >in the same situation to refer to an event in process: "Thelo na piyeno" >means "I want to be going." > >What I'm wondering is whether there's a name for this entire *type* of >construction. >
In French, we call them "propositions subordonn=E9es compl=E9tives" ('completive subclauses'?) but I don't know if it's a linguistic term or only a grammarian term.
>Thanks, though! > >---------- >Josh Brandt-Young <neonwave7@...> > >"After the tempest, I behold, once more, the weasel." >(Mispronunciation of Ancient Greek) > >___________________________________________________________________ >You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. >Get completely free e-mail from Juno at >or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] > >
Christophe Grandsire |Sela Jemufan Atlinan C.G. "R=E9sister ou servir" homepage: